Drink SAPINCA support Misión Huascarán!
Misión Huascarán is a non-profit organisation that seeks to transform the lives of children living in extreme poverty in rural areas of Peru.
Anemia effects 1.620 billion people in the world, equivalent to 24.8 % of the world’s population. According to the World Health Organisation (WHO), it affects more children within preschool age (47%). Peru is no stranger to this reality, in 2018, 46,6% of children under 3 years of age suffered from anemia according to the Demographic and Family Health Survey (ENDES). The main cause of iron deficiency anemia is the lack of iron which causes negative effects on the brain, motor, cognitive and behavioural development in infants.
To face childhood anemia, this should not only be approached under the traditional biomedical model, but it is also necessary to address it taking into account the socioeconomic, geographical and ethnic factors that effect the development and nutrition of the child with an emphasis on prevention supported by public policies based on cost-effective interventions in favor of children.
- Reduce the prevalence of anemia in children 3 to 12 years of age to only 5%
- Achieve demonstrative workshops on healthy eating habits for 100% of the mothers in the area
- Achieve 80% of families having family organic gardens for children consumption
- Carry out follow-up home visits to the children’s families
- Provide food supplements: NutriHierro cookies, vegatables, eggs and protein bread